Body Panels

Picked up 2-4’x10′ aluminum sheets for creating the side and back body panels of the car.

Pattern making for the first side of the car using thin plywood and hot glue.

20160507_153747

Traced the pattern on to the sheet and added an inch all around for tabs that wrap the chassis tubes. Cut like butter with electric shears.  Clamped the rough cut onto the chassis.

20160507_170310

Fine tuned and trimmed,  then hammered the tabs over the chassis for later rivet attachment.

20160508_170412

20160508_170435

20160508_170440

20160508_170445

20160528_155306

Prepping for rivets.

20160529_172747

 

 

Sweet power shear for cutting the aluminum panels.

20160604_123358

Bending rear body panel into place. Well need some minor trimming.

20160604_123432

20160604_123418

20160605_134941

20160605_134955

20160703_121741

20160702_213307

Engine Idle

Since running the engine I have noticed that the engines idle will drop momentarily and sometimes stall after depressing the throttle and releasing it suddenly.  I will have to troubleshoot the issue.

Found one site discussing adjustment of the engine idle and how the ECU does and does not control the idle at certain times.  Interesting.

Will test this out next time:

http://www.miata.net/garage/KnowYourCar/S7_Idle.html

Curb Weight: Preliminary

Did some weighing of the car with four scales to get a rough idea of the curb weight and weight distribution.

20160410_172723

One reading seemed a bit off  (scales pretty much maxed out) so we swapped a couple scales and got a more reasonable reading.

Distribution seems pretty close to 50:50, and the curb weight is about 1300 lbs.

Steering Column and Combination Switch

It turned out that through the mix and match of miata parts I’d collected thru the build I’d collected an American combination switch and steering column. Naturally these worked together well but the combo switch is not plug and play with the Canadian wiring harness I have. I had to look around and find both a Canadian combo switch and steering column to match one another and the wiring harness. Picked these up from a fellow in Tsawassen who has lots of miata parts. The Canadian column has a smaller diameter end at the combo switch which only fits the matching combo switch. Thought about adapting the American combo switch to the Canadian harness but it did not look trivial and would rather stick with stock wiring if possible.

20160306_220940

20160306_220848

20160410_125950

20160410_125957

 

Seating

In avoidance of paying over $500 for seats that fit the 17.5″ allowable seat width that the 442E chassis demands,  we picked up some old Honda Prelude seats as a starting point. They were a little wide,  but were stripped down cut in half and welded back together. Before work could progress further,  reasonably priced seats came up online locally that fit with a little squeeze nicely into the chassis.  Have yet to work in some sort of rail slider to the bottoms yet.

20160205_231125

20160325_111711

20160325_113846

20160325_125648

Wiring Harness

Started connecting the wiring harness up to the car. Thanks to the guy i bought the motor from for labeling most of the important connection points. We were able to connect most stuff up including motor, instrument panel,  transmission,  fuel pump,  ignition,  battery,  and other bits. My steering signal and lighting assembly seems to be different from the harness and will require some re-wiring to make use of the signal and lighting switches.  Will have to locate and attach the thread the harness through the chassis in its final resting place later.

Next to get the fuel supply, cooling supply and exhaust sorted so that we can get the engine running.

20151004_173250

20151004_173300

20151004_173319

20151004_173310

 

Updated:

Cut circular holes in the firewall to mount the factory wiring harness seals and allow the harness to pass through.  Detached and re-attached the necessary engine wiring to thread it through the hole.  Factory seal/gasket fits well into holes.

20151012_174714

20151012_174721

20151012_174730

April 10, 2016 – Update – Started thinning out the wiring harness to try to cut down on the bulk. Lighting and engine running so excess wires can be weeded out. Removed radio, hvac, headlight retractor and door wiring to start.

20160410_171129

pic-914812578174190292-1600x1200